Google explained its decision for killing Chrome app in a blog mail, “ Fostering a robust ecosystem of extensions is critical to Chrome ‘s mission and we are committed to providing a useful reference platform for customizing the browse feel for all users. ”
What the end of Chrome apps means for you
so, how does the death of Chrome apps affect you ? not arsenic much as you might think.
Overshadowed by Android apps and Chrome extensions, Chrome Apps never actually caught on with developers. adoption was so low that Google primitively announced in 2016 that Chrome apps would stop being supported on Windows, macOS and Linux because entirely one percentage of users had installed them. Google ‘s timeline got muddled, and Chrome apps were spared for several more years, although the Chrome apps section of the Chrome Web Store was removed in late 2017. Google ‘s mercy did n’t help these “ Chrome Packaged Apps ”, and now we know when they ‘ll disappear for effective. If you ‘re a Windows, macOS or Linux user, then you probably do n’t use Chrome apps because installing them became impossible when they were removed from the Chrome Web Store.
Read more: Ciphertext indistinguishability – Wikipedia
That leaves Chrome OS users, or those who own Chromebooks. even if you fall into this group and use Chrome apps regularly, there ‘s a dear casual those apps can be found in a unlike format, like an Android app or a chrome propagation. If not, some of these apps will redirect you to a web site where you can use them as traditional world wide web apps. In the end, killing Chrome apps wo n’t have a major shock on how the large majority of users experience the web .
When is support for Chrome apps ending?
Google posted a timeline in its web log post with specific dates on when Chrome apps will stop being supported across different platforms. here is how it shakes out :
- March 2020: Chrome Web Store will stop accepting new Chrome Apps. Developers will be able to update existing Chrome Apps through June 2022.
- June 2020: End support for Chrome Apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Customers who have Chrome Enterprise and Chrome Education Upgrade will have access to a policy to extend support through December 2020.
- December 2020: End support for Chrome Apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- June 2021: End support for NaCl, PNaCl, and PPAPI APIs.
- June 2021: End support for Chrome Apps on Chrome OS. Customers who have Chrome Enterprise and Chrome Education Upgrade will have access to a policy to extend support through June 2022.
- June 2022: End support for Chrome Apps on Chrome OS for all customers.