P.S. — Want to listen to this post?
What Half Dollars Are Silver?
refer to the postdate list of U.S. half dollars that are made of eloquent ( Ag ), including the date ranges they were minted :
- Walking Liberty half dollar (1916–1947): 90% silver
- Franklin half dollar (1948–1963): 90% silver
- Kennedy half dollar (1964): 90% silver
- Kennedy half (1965–1970): 40% silver
- Kennedy half (1971–date): 0% silver, with the exception of 40% silver for 1976 mint set
Anything older than 1965 will constantly be 90 % silver medal, although these half dollars besides possess quite a batch of collectible appeal ( and were minted in rather abject numbers ). You can check out a list of half dollar designs —ranging all the way from 1794 to date ! Kennedy one-half dollar | Image via USA Coin Book
How Much Is My Half Dollar Worth?
In terms of actual argent burden ( often abbreviated “ ASW ” ), the 90 % eloquent halves each contain 0.36169 troy ounce of arrant ash grey. That ‘s approximately 11.25 grams of eloquent message. The 40 % silver half dollars logically have less silver than their predecessors, totaling 0.1479 troy oz per mint, equal to about 4.6 grams ASW.
To figure out how much a given half dollar is deserving, postdate these simple steps :
- Check the date on the coin. 1964 or earlier means it’s 90% silver. 1965 to 1970 means it’s 40% silver. (If it’s newer than 1970, you’re out of luck.)
- Refer to the weights provided above for 90% and 40% silver varieties.
- Multiply the ASW by the current spot price of silver.
How Half Dollars Were Used
mod half dollars made from a cheaper copper-nickel “ clad ” debase are silent produced sporadically but rarely, if ever, actually circulate as money ( i.e., are ever spent ). Half dollar coins were once normally seen in casinos but are less democratic now that most time slot machines are n’t coin-operated. Quarters meanwhile became the most commodious and far-flung appellation favored by manufacturers of vending machines, arcade human body, and washers and dryers at laundromats in the recently twentieth century. This dampen commercial demand for half dollars as a consequence . 1945-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar ( obverse ). prototype via Wikimedia Commons collector matter to in today ‘s dress half dollar coins is besides minimal. Uncirculated rolls of halves can be requested ( or ordered ) from any local bank ramify in exchange for their grimace prize .
Fun Facts About Half Dollar Coins
- The half dollar denomination was among the first coins ever struck by the United States Mint back in the 1790s.
- Half dollars have long appealed to the public thanks to their relatively large size. All halves minted since 1839 measure precisely 30.6 mm in diameter.
- The John F. Kennedy design created by Gilroy Roberts to commemorate the late president’s assassination was so beloved, it has remained the half dollar design for over 50 years. This was similar to the George Washington design on the quarter, which was created by sculptor John Flanagan in 1932 for Washington’s 200th birthday but subsequently became a permanent fixture.
- Coin and bullion dealers will typically sell bags of old 90% silver half dollars by face value.
- The artistic merit of Adolph Weinman’s Walking Liberty half dollar design is so undeniable that the U.S. Mint repurposed it for the modern American Silver Eagle coins (1986–date).
What Nickels Are Silver ?
Read more: Possum Magic Coins
What Dimes Are Silver ? What Quarters Are Silver ? How a lot Is A flatware Dollar Worth ?