It will help you take charge in a hassle-free way without compromising efficiency. This web log aims at making the data export procedure vitamin a smooth as possible .
Upon a accomplished walkthrough of the subject, you will be able to carry out a successful data export in the Excel format. You can then load your data to a data warehouse or any finish of your choice for a fruitful analysis. Through this article, you will get a deep sympathize of the tools and techniques being mentioned & therefore, it will help you hone your skills further .
Table of Contents
What is JIRA?
JIRA is a popular project management cock, used to track the bugs, issues and the progress of assorted tasks associated with software and mobile applications developed by an administration. JIRA provides a herculean and feature-packed dashboard which makes tracking these tasks related to bugs and issues highly easy. It houses versatile packages such as JIRA core, software, avail desk, etc. each of which focuses on simplifying tasks such as generic project management, agile project management.
Reading: JIRA Export to Excel: 3 Easy Methods
Some key features of JIRA
- Real-time: JIRA provides information about data updates in real-time via emails.
- Security: JIRA provides a secure bug-tracking system. It supports security-based restrictions to allow only a certain number of individuals or teams to work on a particular bug. Its Default Permission Scheme automatically assigns new projects and tasks to it.
- Robust Integration: JIRA offers strong integration with a variety of tools such as Salesforce, GitHub, Tempo, EasyBI, etc. and makes it extremely easy for IT and software teams to collaborate and resolve issues quickly.
- Agile Development: JIRA provides a smooth experience of working with Scrum and Kanban boards. JIRA is fundamentally based on the Agile model of development and immediately asks users to define the project type as Scrum or Kanban, whenever a new project is created. It even supports a Scrumban (Hybrid of Kanban and Scrum) methodologies to create boards.
For far information on JIRA, you can check the official web site here .
What is Microsoft Excel?
Microsoft Excel is a democratic spreadsheet program available individually and as a partially of the Microsoft Office Suite. It stores data in the mannequin of spreadsheets, that is using rows and column, thereby making it extremely easily to use. Excel allows users to access data well from external sources and even provides programming support to users through Microsoft ’ s Visual Basic for Applications ( VBA ) .
It provides excellent accompaniment for storing numeral values, performing statistical analysis, complex calculations, creating pivot tables and a set more. It supports building respective visualizations such as graph and charts to analyse the data better .
For far information on Excel, you can check the official web site here .
Key Features of Microsoft Excel
- Conditional Formatting: With this feature, you can view realistic data patterns and draw key insights from such information. Even though conditional formatting can be a tad complicated, its benefits outweigh the costs.
- Pivot Tables: Pivot tables are useful when you want to simplify large spreadsheets based on specific criteria. Accordingly, you can perform sort, count, total, and average operations on a large spreadsheet.
- Paste Special: Pasting data is one of the most common and repetitive tasks in Excel. However, you can paste data in a specific styling and according to set criteria using the paste special option.
- Print Preview: Printing from Excel is often complicated since the spreadsheet may not look the same on paper. However, with print preview, you can say goodbye to such problems with the numerous print options.
Simplify your data analysis with Hevo’s No-code Data Pipelines
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to transfer data from JIRA along with 100+ data sources (including 40+ free sources) to a datum warehouse/destination of your choice to visualize it in your coveted BI joyride. Hevo is fully-managed and wholly automates the summons of not only loading data from your desired beginning but besides enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready kind without having to write a single argumentation of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a fasten, consistent manner with zero data passing .
Get Started with Hevo for Free
It provides a consistent & dependable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desire finish. It allows you to focus on key business needs and perform insightful analysis using a BI cock of your choice .
Check out what makes Hevo amazing :
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
- Working knowledge of JIRA.
- Working knowledge of Excel.
- A JIRA account.
- Excel/ Microsoft Office installed at the host workstation.
Download the Whitepaper on Automating Data Integration
Learn the samara benefits of automating Data integration
Why do you need to Export issues from Jira?
- To share information with external stakeholders: Customers frequently demand full issue reports in various formats, such as excel or pdf.
- To analyze data in Excel: One of the most common reasons for exporting is the insatiable urge to delve into datasheets and interpret issue data with formulae and pivot tables, commonly known as “the excel syndrome.” There is no need to learn another reporting technology if you have a qualified analyst.
- For Auditing purposes: You could audit your Jira instance directly, but it assumes your auditor is an proficient Jira user with Administrator privileges who discovers adequate information in Jira reports and dashboards. Exporting the raw data and allowing them to explore at their own pace is typically a better option.
- To analyze compliance with SLAs: You can add the excel syndrome to the requirement to observe trends in how issues are transitioned and assess what’s impacting your company’s SLAs, and you’ve got yourself a recipe. Every month, you’ll export your concerns in order to do compliance analyses.
- For Migration Projects: Migrations do occur, and they are usually painful. In these cases, a simple approach to retrieve all of your issue data without losing any data will be of great help.
Methods to perform a JIRA Export to Excel
There are multiple ways in which you can export data from JIRA to Excel :
Method 1: Performing a JIRA Export to Excel using the Export option
JIRA ’ s in-built data export option allows users to export data from their applications in respective formats such as XML, Excel, CSV, HTML, etc .
plunge JIRA on your system and provide your credentials to log in to your account. once you ’ ve logged in, select the filter option from the panel on the lead of your screen door. You can besides start searching for the data using the search choice from the gore on the left .
once you have selected the advance search choice, a new research window will now open up. You can use respective JQL queries in the search browning automatic rifle, found at the top of your screen to extract results for the particular stick out .
You can besides select the tasks, bugs, tickets, etc. manually, by choosing the “ basic ” choice from the panel .
once you ’ ve selected the desire JIRA issue, select the export option from the top right corner of your screen .
A negotiation box will now open up, representing a number of formats in which you can export your data .
Choose Excel CSV as the coveted format to export your data. You will now be prompted to choose either Excel online or Excel background as your coveted direction of exporting your data. Click on the Excel desktop choice to download your data as an Excel CSV file .
This is how you can export your data from JIRA as an Excel CSV file using the in-built export choice .
Limitation of this method
- JIRA allows users to export only 1000 issues at maximum to avoid any performance-related issues. It applies the same limitation to even the bulk operations, query-based changes, etc.
- The native JIRA export method allows you to export data in various formats such as XML, Excel CSV, HTML, etc. but often fails to export the data correctly and misses out on certain fields. This increases the chances of missing out on critical information.
Method 2: Performing a JIRA Export to Excel using JIRA Cloud plug-in
Using the JIRA Cloud for Excel circuit board is another ultra-simple manner to perform a JIRA Export to Excel. It allows users to not alone export data directly to Excel but besides schedule periodic datum refreshes. Users can make use of the predefined filters or write JQL queries, right from their Excel application to fetch data. The JIRA Cloud circuit board is available only to the users that have an Office 365 subscription. It can be downloaded and installed for Excel only by users that have this expensive subscription ahead .
This can be implemented in the following two steps :
Step 1: Installing the JIRA Cloud for Excel plug-in
Begin by installing the JIRA circuit board for your Excel application. You can download the circuit board from the official Atlassian marketplace or the official Microsoft App source web site here. once you ’ ve downloaded it, carefully follow the prompts to add it to your Excel application. You can check out the official documentation to help you install the circuit board well .
You nowadays need to open the Excel lotion on your system and log in to your Office 356 report and provide your JIRA certificate, to allow Excel to entree your data .
This is how you can install the JIRA Cloud circuit board for Excel using your office 365 report.
Step 2: Exporting data from JIRA to Excel
once you ’ ve downloaded and added the JIRA Cloud for Excel circuit board, you can well perform the Jira Export to Excel process .
Click on the contract JIRA data option from the menu bar of your Excel plane. A newly english dialog box will now open up on the correctly side of your screen, from which you can easily select the JIRA locate from where you want to export data to Excel .
The JIRA Cloud circuit board allows you to perform the Jira export to Excel process using versatile ways. You can either make manipulation of your pre-defined JIRA trickle ( It needs to be starred ) to extract data, or select the JQL option from your side jury to use JQL queries to extract data .
Click on the choose fields choice in the side panel. A fresh dialogue box will now open up .
From the project drop-down list, select your JIRA project and then search for your desired datum fields using the search bar, precisely below it. Select all your draw a bead on fields .
once you ’ ve selected them, click on save. Click on the scram data option to start importing your JIRA data to Excel .
The JIRA Cloud for Excel besides allows you to use the JIRA() routine. This function allows you to specify assorted fields, the number of rows, etc. from where you want to perform a JIRA Export to Excel, all with the help of a individual JQL question .
once you ’ ve written your JQL question, snap on enroll and you will get all your requested JIRA data imported to your Excel lotion. For more information on using this JIRA() routine, you can check the official documentation here .
This is how you can perform a JIRA Export to Excel using the JIRA Cloud circuit board .
Limitations of this method
- The JIRA Cloud for Excel plug-in is only available for users that have an Office 365 subscription. It is therefore not readily available for every user and requires them to have the expensive Office 365 subscription beforehand, only then it can be downloaded.
- It doesn’t support the older versions of Office such as Microsoft Office 2016, Pro Plus, etc.
Method 3: Performing a JIRA Export to Excel by enabling the Excel Option
In the earlier versions, JIRA provided users with a simple one-click solution of exporting data as an Excel file. however, this feature of speech was removed from the panel starting from version 7.2 onwards. To perform a JIRA Export to Excel, users can easily re-enable this feature and start exporting their JIRA data again using the Excel option .
You can implement this using the be step :
Step 1: Restarting your device
first, stop your JIRA case from your arrangement, you can stop the service directly from applications or use the following lines of code in your JIRA applications facility directory :
/bin/stop-jira.sh or binstop-jira.bat
For further information on using the configuration file, you can check the official documentation here .
Step 2: Configuring the Jira-properties file
Adding the above instruction in your JIRA configurations file will enable the Excel export option, and you can easily perform a Jira export to excel .
JIRA ’ s in-built export option allows users to export up to 1000 issues at a prison term, making it difficult for users to extract large volumes of data. To overcome this, users can update the configuration file and add the follow line of code in it :
This command will allow you to fetch more than 1000 results at once, thereby simplifying the data export process. To avoid any performance-related issues or any “ out of memory ” exceptions, ensure that you don ’ t fetch a large volume of data at once .
once you ’ ve added the command, save your configurations charge. Restart your JIRA exemplify, you will find the Excel choice available in the export drop-down list .
You can now search for the JIRA issue you want to select either by applying necessary filters or selecting it manually. You can do this using the advance emergence search option. Once you ’ ve selected the tickets, issues, etc. that you want to export, you can click on the Excel choice from the panel and easily export your data .
This is how you can perform a JIRA Export to Excel by enabling the Excel option from the configurations file .
Method 4: Performing a JIRA Export to Excel using REST API
Following the GET method acting of the REST API, once you ’ ve logged into Jira, you ’ ll be able to retrieve all the issues using a particular JQL from a url :
Method: GET Url: JIRA_BASE_URL/JIRA_CONTEXT/rest/api/2/search?jql="assignee=currentUser()"
paste this URL directly into your web browser for on-screen results. You ’ ll get a JSON file as output .
You can covert the JSON document into CSV format using online tools. Or you can directly convert to Excel format through different options available in Microsoft Excel according to its version .
This article introduces you to the diverse methods that can be used to set up a JIRA Export to Excel. It besides provides in-depth cognition about the concepts behind every step to help you understand and implement them efficiently. These methods, however, can be challenging particularly for a novice & this is where Hevo saves the day.
You can besides check our article about connecting JIRA to MariaDB .
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps you transfer data from a reservoir of your choice in a amply automated and secure manner without having to write the code repeatedly. Hevo with its potent integration with Jira and versatile other free data sources, allows you to not lone export & load data but besides transform & enrich your data & make it analysis-ready in a blink of an eye.
want to take Hevo for a spin ? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can besides have a look at the invincible pricing that will help you choose the correct plan for your occupation needs .
Tell us about your experience of exporting your JIRA datum ! Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below .