Table of contents:
View now at Google
- simple interface lets you quickly create and edit tasks
- Gmail integration brings easy task creation and management to desktops
- io Widget handiness puts job management right on your homescreen
- wholly complimentary
- chasteness of Tasks may be excessively basic for occupation users
- No collaboration tools
- No context-based integration of email-sourced tasks
|Supported platforms||Android, io, Web|
|Email integration||Yes, with Gmail on network and other electronic mail services on mobile|
|Voice adjunct integration||Google Assistant is supported ( Siri is only supported through third-party workarounds )|
|Smartwatch digest||Notifications are supported on WatchOS ( Apple Watch ) and WearOS ( Android ). No native smartwatch apps are available .|
|Widget corroborate||Yes, for both Android and iOS|
My review is based chiefly on the io version of Google Tasks. There is besides an Android interpretation, a Chrome browser addition, and a translation built immediately into the Gmail interface on the network. While there are slight variations in aesthetics, menu orientation, and other minor variables, the primary functionality of the app is basically identical across all supported platforms. This is a identical dependable thing, as it ensures you ‘re immediately familiar with all versions of Google Tasks, a long as you ‘re companion with any individual adaptation of it. thankfully, Google appears to have learned from by mistakes it made with other apps and services that varied so greatly across platform-specific versions you ‘d need to re-learn them every meter you switched smartphone operating systems or went from mobile to desktop. More: Google: Gmail is getting this new look to make switching between apps easier I should besides clarify that, as a cloud-based service, Google Tasks syncs all of your activities, entries, and competitions across all platforms where you ‘re signed in to your Google account . Michael Gariffo
Task management functionality
As mentioned above, using Google Tasks is an highly bare proposition. Upon your first login, you ‘ll be presented with your “ My Tasks ” screen. here you can view your current tasks toward the tops, see your completed tasks within the buttocks drop-down menu, and add newly tasks by tapping the large + button centered at the bottom. You can besides create an entirely fresh list by tapping “ + New list ” at the exceed. Google Tasks organizes all entries into three levels : lists, tasks, and subtasks
Read more: Ciphertext indistinguishability – Wikipedia
- Lists are the top level of administration and are designed to be used to provide separation between things like work tasks and personal tasks ; tasks associated entirely with a one ongoing plan ; or any other part of the user ‘s choice. All tasks are created within either the default “ My Tasks ” list, or within a user-created list .
- Tasks survive within lists and, as you ‘d expect, provide the chief functionality of Google Tasks. Each undertaking includes a title, a “ details ” field for extra notes about it, a date and time put, and the option to add subtasks. We ‘ll explain more about how all of this functions below .
- Subtasks exist within individual tasks and provide a manner to sub-divide complex projects into more simplistic goals. For example, imagine creating a job for refurbishing an honest-to-god car, then creating subtasks for things like replacing a snap windshield, patching pluck upholstery, or testing electrical wire .
In actual practice, it ‘s simpleton to promptly populate lists, tasks, and subtasks. once you have a list established, creating a task is just a matter of giving it a title, adding any notes you think may be pertinent to you, and tagging it with a date and meter . Michael Gariffo That date and meter will control how you ‘re notified of when that tax is due. This means you ‘ll receive fluid notifications on your smartphone and smartwatch, deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as within the desktop-based interfaces like the one witness within the Gmail app. You can, of path, edit any of these fields at any clock time, right up until you mark a task complete. once a undertaking is completed, it will automatically be moved into the Completed section at the bottom of the main menu, as seen in the inaugural image. One a task is sent there, you can even view any details you added to it for reference, until you delete the task completely . Michael Gariffo basically all of these lapp options besides apply to subtasks, including adding due dates/times and notes. Subtasks can not, however, have their own subtasks added to them. in truth, that ‘s about it for the chief functions of the mobile app. The only extra complexity of Google Tasks comes via its Widgets, wearable functionality, and Gmail consolidation. More: Will double-filing my Gmail email use up my space?
Supported widgets and wearables
now that io has finally joined Android in adding defend for family filmdom widgets, Google has jumped on the bandwagon and created widgets for many of its most democratic apps, including Tasks . Michael Gariffo Tasks provides support for two varieties of home screen appliance, a smaller 2×2 adaptation and a larger 4×2 interpretation. Both of these can be seen above. The larger version provides a list of ongoing tasks and subtasks, complete with dates. Any of these can be tapped to directly access them within the Tasks app. It besides provides a release for creating a new task within the app itself. More: Google’s ‘focus time’ setting could help you duck that boring meeting The smaller appliance, being more circumscribed on space, only provides access to a telescoped list of ongoing tasks, with the same ability to tap it for conduct access to the Tasks app. Both work precisely as you ‘d expect, and both provide at-a-glance access to most ( if not all ) of your ongoing tasks without having to always launch the Tasks app for a quick check . Michael Gariffo For wearables, Google Tasks provides a simplistic presentment, like the one seen above, which will pop up at the time and date you chose when creating the tax. Tapping “ accomplished ” on the presentment will send the task to the Completed incision on the app ‘s home filmdom. You can besides dismiss the presentment and leave the tax uncompleted, which will result in it appearing as delinquent in your app. Google Tasks is not available as a native Apple Watch app, meaning this is the full moon extent of its functionality on Apple ‘s wearables. curiously adequate, there ‘s besides no official support for Google ‘s own Android Wear-branded wearables . Michael Gariffo
Google service integration
Google intentionally kept Tasks simple, and that ‘s great for most users. The majority of tax management app users wo n’t need deep, third-party consolidation, nor are they probably to require collaboration functionality, if they ‘re just focusing on individual tasks. That said, a short eloquence being added to the process of creating and managing tasks could n’t hurt. That ‘s precisely what Google has provided by integrating Tasks into Gmail. More: Google Tasks’ new bigger role: It can manage all your reminders, to-dos, lists Tasks lives within the right-side acid of the Gmail web page, in the lapp localization where you ‘d normally find Google Calendar, Keep, and other cloud-based services. Clicking on it slides out an interface that very closely mirrors the mobile app, including all of the functionalities mentioned above . Michael Gariffo In accession to serving as a quick way to access the servicing via your background, laptop, or Chromebook, this besides provides a connection point for your Google Calendar reminders and any tasks added via Gmail itself. The serve attempts to automatically pull in all reminders set via Google Calendar. This includes reminders set using the Google Assistant via voice, assuming the device they were set on was signed into the like report. More: The best voice assistant Users can besides add the content of a given electronic mail to a undertaking with a unmarried chink of the “ Add to tasks ” button at the top of the Gmail window between “ Snooze ” and “ Move to… ” Clicking it will use the subject of the electronic mail in question to title the job, and will automatically add a connect back to the originating e-mail to the task ‘s details. Any extra due dates/times and notes can besides be added once the tax is created .
Task management performance
Google Tasks is all the huge majority of users will very need to manage your tasks as private individuals. It is n’t angstrom complex or highly-integrated as Microsoft To Do, or some alike solutions, nor will it help organizations replace things like Asana for multi-user job management. More: Work from home? Things I wish someone had told me before I started however, most of us are just trying to get a better handle on our personal projects, family tasks, and the everyday, ceaseless errands that can sometimes feel overpower. Google Tasks serves as the greatest cock in your time management arsenal by handling its character with an ideal balance of chasteness and flexibility. Looping in Gmail and Google Calendar reminders adds just adequate integration for those of us that rely on Google ‘s services to integrate our apposite communications and coordinate our schedules influence and home schedules. furthermore, the bearing of those lapp services across io, Android, desktop, and digital adjunct platforms makes Tasks ‘ entire compass of integrations available on a closely omnipresent level .
If you ‘re looking for an almighty, collaborative, extensile disturbance list coach, I would look elsewhere. however, if you have the same horizontal surface of personal requirements for a disturbance director as I — and probably most other users — do, I would decidedly recommend giving Google Tasks a hear. More: Best task management software: Time to get it done
Because it ‘s a wholly release service, you ‘ve got nothing to lose, and a solid draw of organizational acumen to gain. If you find that it ‘s a little excessively simplistic for you, consider moving up to Microsoft ‘s To Do or a similarly complex app/platform. Or, if it ‘s besides complex, consider just using your favorite note-taking app, flush the one that came pre-installed on your smartphone, to create a basic checklist. Google Tasks wo n’t be the absolute perfect fit for everyone. But, I do believe it ‘s the best option for the largest assortment of users, thanks to its sensible and flexible focus on simple, easily edited, and imminently accessible tasks organization capabilities .
- Microsoft To Do – Microsoft’s more complex take that adds in collaboration tools for more complex task management across several individuals or business teams.
- Todoist – Another simplistic option with a more colorful interface that offers the native Apple Watch app Google Tasks lacks, and a more platform-agnostic approach to third-party platform integration. Includes an optional, paid Pro Plan with additional features.
- Any.do – A calendar-focused app that provides a colorful interface and a built-in focus mode to help you get work done and avoid distractions. Includes a monthly subscription plan which includes additional organizational and collaboration features for multiple users.
- Remember the Milk: To-Do List – The app that largely defined the genre. It has grown to integrate email, text, and instant message notifications; cross-device syncing, third-party platform integration, and more. An annual pro subscription with additional features and storage capacity is available for a fee.
- TickTick – Combines the simplicity of Google Tasks with the focus mode options of Any.do, while adding its own habit trackers to make you a more productive individual. Includes a paid TickTick Premium option that removes task limits and enhances functionality.